Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Seventh Heaven

Chicle tagged me, so I guess I'm in.

Seven things to do before I die (in no particular order):

1. Baptize my children on the basis of their credible profession of faith
2. More consistently love my wife as Christ loves His church
3. Be a more Christ-honoring father to my (soon-to-be-five) daughters
4. Be an exemplary shepherd to Christ's flock
5. Write a helpful Christian book
6. Visit Geneva and stand in Calvin's pulpit
7. Catch a 6-lb bass while fishing with my Dad

Seven things I cannot do:

1. Enjoy watching soccer
2. Eat anchovies
3. Stand on my hands
4. Funtionally converse in any foreign language
5. Give up Scrabble
6. Understand why ballroom dancing is an Olympic sport
7. Draw

Seven things that attract me to my spouse:

1. Her ravishing beauty
2. Her unfailing support of me and my ministry
3. Her theological acumen
4. Her love for and devotion to our (ever-increasing) family
5. Her honest and constructive criticism of my preaching and living
6. Her awareness of her own sin and love of the remedy of the Gospel
7. Let's just say that she knows her way around our kitchen

Seven things I say most often:

1. "You see"
2. "...paints a picture"
3. "hey, buddy" (to my daughters)
4. "In other words"
5. "That's unacceptable" "As it were"
6. "As I noted earlier"
7. "for the record" "If you will"
[P.S. Most of these are preacher-isms that you'll hear frequently when I'm in the pulpit. Update: On the recommendation of some of the young people in the my congregation, I replaced a couple of the sayings with some of my more frequently utilized preacher-isms.]

Seven books (or series) I love:

1. Iain Murray's two-volume biography of D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
2. Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion
3. Spurgeon's two-volume autobiography
4. Arnold Dallimore's two-volume biography of George Whitefield
5. John MacArthur's The Gospel According to the Apostles
6. Peggy Noonan's When Character Was King: A Story of Ronald Reagan
7. Bunyan's Pilgim's Progress
[Of course, this assumes that the Bible is at the head of any such list of favorite books]

Seven movies I would watch over and over again:

1. Hoosiers
2. Braveheart
3. The Patriot
4. Remember the Titans
5. Monty Python's Holy Grail
6. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
7. Hotel Rwanda

Seven people I want to join in, too:

1. My wife
2. Morgan
3. P. Shirley
4. Goff
5. Lamey
6. My brother
7. Rob

8 Comments:

At 10:10:00 PM, Blogger Gummby said...

My preacher comment was directed toward you, BTW. Somewhere I have that list of Pulpit Pixleyisms. If I find it, I'll forward it along.

 
At 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Chris Pixley said...

Since I played along real nice, does this mean I'm saved from falling out of the bottom of your blog roll?

 
At 5:52:00 PM, Blogger Paul Lamey said...

I have turned in the requested info.

 
At 8:56:00 PM, Blogger Paul said...

I like the updated version. I complied with your request.

By the way it is cold in Ill.

Paul

 
At 12:37:00 AM, Blogger Gummby said...

Still looking for the list; in the meantime, I thought of one that's a contender. "Listen, friend..."
Love the new picture on the masthead, BTW. I've gotta figure out how to do that one of these days.
As far as delinking, when God becomes faithless, that's when I'll delink you (although I reserve the right to create Pixley Purgatory, if you don't start posting more than once a quarter).

 
At 6:39:00 PM, Blogger Caleb Kolstad said...

Nice work here Chris!

CK

 
At 2:08:00 PM, Blogger CalvDispy said...

Hoosiers is great - especially the tape measure scene.

High Noon is a great movie for Pastors - check it out.

 
At 3:12:00 PM, Blogger sparrowhawk said...

"End of the road boys. You have eluded me for the last time." "We got a pardon - it went out over the radio." "Is that a fact. Well, we aint got no radio."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home